Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Service Week 2013

We are in the midst of Service Week 2013. As you might have noticed, we have buckets to collect change at all of the chapter houses. Please take a moment and put a few coins in there. All money collected will go to Spina Bifida education and prevention. Here is a short post from a DePauw alum who has dedicated her life to this cause...

"As a member of the Board of the Spina Bifida Association of Indiana (SBAIN), I have met many families throughout the state of Indiana who have benefitted from SBAIN.  We are the only Spina Bifida group in Indiana and service a large geographic area.  We have made great strides in reaching those impacted by Spina Bifida, but have much more work to do.

Our board make-up varies from parents or individuals with Spina Bifida to clinicians and professionals who interface with patients with Spina Bifida.  My interest in joining the board stems from my experience working with patients with spina bifida as a physical therapist.  At age 8, we discovered that our daughter has spina bifida occulta.  Her symptoms are limited to back pain without neurological involvement.  We are extremely lucky and recognize our situation could be so different. 

I am a graduate of DePauw University, and enjoy using some of the skills I gained while at DePauw as a board member.  I was co-chair of the Little 500 Steering Committee, my sorority rush chair and was a Botany TA.  I learned at DePauw how as an individual, I can have a large impact especially when working collectively as a team.  These skills are critical to my experiences in workplace.

Now working in health care as a physical therapist, I am involved with patients with spina bifida and their families.   I am learning how the disability can impact something as simple as “sleep overs”. 

Thank you for showing interest is spina bifida.  Please check out our website:  sbain.org  "

Angie Tate-Eugenio, M.S.P.T.

DePauw Class of 1988