Tuesday, December 23, 2014

My Recruitment Story: Leeann Sausser

Recruitment is an adventure.



You never know what’s going to happen. Your high heel might break. You might get sick the night before third round. You might have to run in a snowstorm. You might get your top two chapters for third round. You might have a spectacular Bid Night at your second choice.

As with all adventures, recruitment is what you make of it. What you need are the tools to prepare you for the journey and let you come out that Sunday night excited to start a new one.

Rho Gammas are there to provide those tools; we’re the recognizable faces, the people with the tissues and the mints. We have the inside information potential new members need and the familiarity they want. When I thought about this coming Formal Recruitment last spring, I decided I wanted to be a Rho Gamma. I wanted to be the person who was solely there for the first-years, the person who’s job was to make sure they took advantage of all the opportunities recruitment brings and had fun doing it.

I’ve enjoyed every second I’ve spent preparing my Hogate first-years for the most exciting weekend of freshman year. Seeing them on February 1st in Meharry Hall, about to end that long, wild, and impactful weekend and start an even more amazing three years, bid cards in their hands and smiles on their faces, is the moment I’ve been waiting for all semester. Knowing I helped my first-years get to that point, and knowing they’re about to see how it’s all been worth it, knowing that we made it through this adventure together, will be one of the best moments of accomplishment I’ve ever had.

I also hope I will have helped the first-years find their new home. And, with luck, their new adventure.