Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Summer Spotlight: Emily Vincent


Hanging out with miniature Julina Pigs

"This summer I had the opportunity to participate in an animal care internship at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden.  In the mornings I worked in the zoo's commissary, which is the department in charge of creating diets for all the animals in the zoo- no small task! The best part about working in the commissary was getting to go "behind the scenes" at many exhibits during our daily food deliveries. I had the rare chance to see animals such as manatees, rhinos, and cheetahs up close.  Each afternoon I worked in the Children's Zoo with many different species of domesticated barnyard animals, providing me with experience in another area of zoo keeping. I loved my internship because I was able to work closely with exotic animals and learn from experienced zoo keepers about this field. I hope someday to become a veterinarian at a zoo, so this internship provided me with an amazing first step into the profession"

Feeding a manatee