Friday, August 9, 2013

Summer Spotlight: Erin O'Brien

"After being crowned Miss Indiana South last spring, I had the amazing opportunity to compete at the Miss Indiana Scholarship Pageant this June in Zionsville! The pageant had five categories: Interview, Lifestyle and Fitness in Swimsuit, Talent, Evening Gown, and Onstage Question. I spent the months leading up to the big pageant practicing and preparing for each of these phases!
I love competing in pageants because I always grow and better myself after every competition—whether I come away with the crown or not. This hobby has helped me become an articulate, well-rounded, and mature young woman. For me, pageantry is about improving myself, and also making a difference in my community. Though I did not win this year, I had the time of my life representing DePauw and Southern Indiana. 
It was so inspiring to meet the 31 other contestants. At the heart of the Miss America Organization is community service, and each contestant has her own personal platform that she promotes. Each contestant was so passionate about her platform. I loved learning about all of their accomplishments, as well as sharing my platform, which involves encouraging young women to explore STEM fields.  At the end of the week, I walked away with 31 new sisters and very fond memories to always cherish."