Thursday, August 1, 2013

Summer Spotlight: Kreigha Henney



"I am currently writing this blog post from a front row arena seat inside of the current emptiness that is The Sears Centre in Chicago. In a few days, the position where I currently sit will be filled with fans, athletes, photographers, and journalists all gathering for the same sole reason: gymnastics. This summer I have been interning with the events department at USA Gymnastics which is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. I feel so lucky to have been given this opportunity that includes traveling to cities like Kansas City, Louisville, Hartford, and my current location of Chicago. My internship includes a wide variety of jobs that ultimately incorporate many aspects of my communications major. From registration to awards to media and live webcasting, I never know for sure what I'll end up assisting with on any given day. The job opportunity actually came through a DePauw Alum, who also happens to be an alum of the Panhellenic Community. If I have learned nothing else from this experience, it is that when taken advantage of, our DePauw network is something to be truly grateful for, and more specifically, our bond through the Panhellenic community. I work with two women who were active in our DePauw Panhellenic community not too many years ago and this experience has made me appreciate the bubble that we too often take for granted. At the end of the day, having something like DePauw in common with these women has made working in a new place not only more comfortable as a work environment, but has genuinely made me feel at home."